Follow this easy sourdough french toast recipe to make golden, fluffy toasts ready to eat within 20 minutes!
Sourdough is a top choice for making french toast because it’s sturdy from the outside and soft on the inside. It also has a lower gluten content, making it a great choice for those on dietary restrictions.
Sturdy sourdough with a crispy outside and soaked center of sweetness is a divine mix. Extra fluffy french toast is a great way to start your mornings. If you are tired of making pancakes, you can try this recipe over the weekend, and your family is going to love it.
If you want to make a vegan recipe, you can substitute dairy products with vegan and still get the same fluffy toasts. Substitute milk with soy, almond, or oat milk. Similarly, instead of butter, you can use coconut oil to fry the toast.
As for the bread, you can use gluten-free sourdough or any other bread available. It will not change the texture of the cooking process at all.
How to Make Sourdough French Toast at Home?
Follow this recipe to make sourdough french toast.
You can add different things to the recipe to make the toasts to your liking. Here are a few things you can try as well:
- Serve french toast with powdered sugar, a spring of mint, and fresh berries.
- You can also add Nutella or peanut butter to the toast before serving.
- Try serving the french toast with crispy bacon, and pour over the maple syrup for a truly Canadian flavor.
- Honey also makes a great drizzle over the toast. Serve it with a slice of seasonal fruit like apple, mango, banana, berries, and cantaloupe.
- Add a good amount of whipping cream or heavy cream on toast if you want a Christmasy breakfast.
- If you are serving adults only, a drizzle of your favorite liqueur goes a long way and tastes delicious.
- Keep it simple and serve it with a side of your favorite jam.
- Serve hot toasts with strawberry kombucha, or lemon kombucha.
- Day-old bread works best as it copes well with soaking and the end result is a crispy and crunchy toast.
- Allow the bread to soak in the egg mixture for a few minutes until its coats the slice evenly.
- Make sure the skillet is heating over medium flame. If your pan is too hot, the outside of the toast will cook faster, while the insides are still mushy.
- Once cooled, you can store sourdough french toast in an air-tight container for 1-2 months in the freezer. Reheat it in the oven or skillet.