Creamy tahini pasta is the best comfort food for vegans. It’s rich, filling, and easy to make for lunch or dinner with a few ingredients. The pasta is served both cold or hot, depending upon your taste.
The main ingredient of this vegan pasta is tahini. Tahini is a creamy paste that is made from ground sesame seeds. It has a nutty flavor and is a popular ingredient in hummus. Its slightly bitter taste is complemented with zest from a fresh lemon.
You can either use a store-bought tahini paste or make one at home. I prefer to use homemade tahini paste as it’s more flavorful. You can make some at home and store it in a jar.
To make the sauce, tahini is mixed with lemon juice and herbs. When it comes to herbs, you can take your pick and customize the sauce to your liking. Some basic ingredients are garlic, ginger, salt, pepper, and Italian herbs.
You can use any kind of pasta you want for this recipe. Some gluten-free options include brown rice pasta, chickpea pasta, lentil pasta, and corn pasta.
With the sauce alone, tahini pasta is a delicacy. However, you can make it more filling by adding sauteed vegetables. Caramelized onions and mushrooms make a great addition. You can also add grilled zucchini, bell peppers, spinach broccoli, or cauliflower.
Tahini Pasta Recipe
Make the perfect vegan tahini pasta for dinner or lunch. This plant-based meal is a great option served hot or cold.
- If you are using store-bought tahini paste, make sure to add water to achieve the desired consistency. We don’t want the sauce to be too thick and lumpy.
- You can store the tahini pasta in the refrigerator for over 5-6 days in an airtight container.
Variations and Substitutes
Feel free to add your flare to the dish as there are so many things you can do to spice up the pasta.
- Add toasted red peppers or green chilies if you like spicy food.
- Add roasted veggies of your choice. You can also add green peas in the pasta.
- Although this recipe is vegan, you can add protein. Grilled chicken and shrimp is a perfect match for the pasta.
- You can even ditch the pasta and make this tahini sauce to serve with a rice bowl, or with falafel and crackers. It is a perfect drizzle over salads as well.
- If you like cheesy pasta, feel free to add the cheese of your choice. If you want a vegan option, you can choose to add vegan-based cheese.
What to serve with Tahini pasta
Tahini pasta is a full meal, but if you want to serve other food with the pasta, here are some ideas: