Try this tofu tomato pasta recipe in a yummy tomato sauce, veggies, and cheese. This is a perfect go-to weeknight dinner as it’s super quick to make.
There are different ways to cook tofu, but if you are a pasta lover like me, this recipe is a delight. This pasta recipe is great to use all the leftover veggies in your fridge and turn them into a delicious meal.
What I love about this dish is that you can easily customize it according to your taste. For example, you can crumble tofu and use it in place of ground meat, or you can deep fry the tofu in tempura batter and use it in place of grilled chicken or fried chicken with tomato pasta.
This pasta recipe is a must-try for vegans because it is very easy to make and 100% vegan. It is also rich in protein. For this recipe, you can use any kind of pasta. I am using penne pasta, but you can use elbow pasta, or spaghetti noodles and make tofu bolognese.
Rich in herbs and tomato sauce, you can serve this pasta with a drizzle of olive oil or vegan parmesan cheese. If you have tofu, you can try other Chinese tofu recipes and my favorite Korean braised tofu.
What Type of Tofu to Use in this Recipe
For this recipe, I recommend using extra firm tofu.
Soft tofu will not crumble, and we need crumbled tofu to make it look like ground meat that we can use in tomato sauce. Soft tofu is best for creamy pasta sauce and not this recipe.
Once you have firm tofu, drain excess water using a paper towel, and use your hands to tear the tofu into small pieces. The crumbles can be of different sizes so don’t worry about that. Once you cook it and add tomato sauce, it will taste just like bolognese.
Tofu Pasta in Tomato Sauce Recipe
Feel free to customize this recipe to your liking. Here are some ideas to make your tofu pasta more delicious:
- Use any veggies you have in your refrigerator. Just saute them in a pan in some olive oil. You can use chopped onions, carrots, broccoli, mushrooms, zucchini, and leafy greens.
- Use any pasta type or shape you want for this recipe. I am using penne pasta.
- Feel free to use any tomato sauce you have. You can use a store-bought tomato sauce, or make it at home using fresh tomatoes. I use homemade sauce.
- Add your favorite spices and herbs. You can add paprika or Italian herbs like dried oregano, thyme, or basil to make the pasta more flavorful.
- Top off your pasta with vegan parmesan alternative, or nutritional yeast. If you want a non-vegan pasta, you can experiment with mozzarella, or cheddar cheese as well.
- Try gluten-free pasta. If you want a gluten-free meal, use any gluten-free pasta in the dish and enjoy.