YouTube TV is an amazing live TV streaming platform with over 85 channels. Unfortunately, it is only available in the United States and is geo-restricted in Canada. That is because YouTube TV licenses its content for the American viewers only, that is why it’s access is restricted outside the US.
YouTube TV can detect your location through your IP address. So, when you try to access YouTube TV from Canada, you will get the following error message on your screens:
“It looks like you’re outside the United States. YouTube TV is only available in the US.”
You can bypass YouTube TV’s geo-restrictions using a VPN. In this blog, I will show you how you can unblock YouTube TV in Canada and the best shows and movies to watch on the platform along with channels available.
How to Watch YouTube TV in Canada [Quick Steps]
Follow these steps to watch YouTube TV in Canada:
- Subscribe to a VPN that offers servers in the US (I highly recommend ExpressVPN).
- Download the VPN app on your device and log in to your account.
- Connect to a USA server.
Head over to YouTube TV website or app and log in to your account and enjoy streaming your favorite shows in Canada.
[Short Overview] – Best VPNs to Watch YouTube TV in Canada
Surfshark: Budget-friendly VPN for YouTube TV in Canada. Offers 500 servers across 20 American cities for unblocking YouTube TV in Canada with over 3200 servers in 65 countries. Supports unlimited simultaneous connections on a single account. Available for $2.49/mo with a 30-day refund policy. NordVPN: Largest Server Network for Watching YouTube TV in Canada. Offers 1900+ servers in the USA, overall 5200 servers in 59 countries, with fast speeds for streaming in Ultra HD quality. Available for $3.30/ month with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Surfshark: Budget-friendly VPN for YouTube TV in Canada. Offers 500 servers across 20 American cities for unblocking YouTube TV in Canada with over 3200 servers in 65 countries. Supports unlimited simultaneous connections on a single account. Available for $2.49/mo with a 30-day refund policy.
NordVPN: Largest Server Network for Watching YouTube TV in Canada. Offers 1900+ servers in the USA, overall 5200 servers in 59 countries, with fast speeds for streaming in Ultra HD quality. Available for $3.30/ month with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
3 Best VPNs to Watch YouTube TV in Canada [2021 Updated]
YouTube TV uses VPN blocking technology to limit access. That is why not many VPNs work with YouTube TV. I have tested many VPNs and have shortlisted the 3 best VPNs for YouTube TV consistently offering access to the streaming site abroad.
1. ExpressVPN – Best VPN to Watch YouTube TV in Canada
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for watching YouTube TV in Canada, as during testing, it gave access to the streaming service in under 6 seconds and there was no proxy detected error.
ExpressVPN offers 3000+ fast speed servers in 94 countries, including over 23 servers in the United States. With these American servers, you can easily gain access to YouTube TV in Canada.
Besides YouTube TV, viewers in Canada can also gain access to other popular streaming services with ExpressVPN such as HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, VRV, Vudu, and Netflix US in Canada.
It offers dedicated apps for various devices including Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Fire TV Stick, and you can connect 5 devices simultaneously with a single YouTube TV subscription.
There is a Smart DNS feature called MediaStreamer as well in case you want to stream YouTube TV on devices that do not natively support VPNs. These devices include Smart TVs, Apple TV, gaming consoles, and others. This feature makes ExpressVPN a great choice for cord-cutters.
ExpressVPN is available for $6.67/month (CAD 8.41/mo) with a 30-day money-back guarantee as well. There is a limited-time offer of 3 months free subscription on its yearly plan as well, so you can save a lot of money.
Recommended Servers: New Jersey- 3, Washington DC, Chicago.
2. Surfshark – Budget-friendly VPN to watch YouTube TV in Canada
Surfshark is an affordable option for unblocking YouTube TV in Canada. It is available for just $2.49/month (CAD 3/14/mo) with a 30-day money-back guarantee as well and it works with YouTube TV.
Surfshark offers 3200 servers across 65 countries with 500 servers in 20 US cities for unblocking YouTube TV in Canada. That’s not all, you can also share one subscription with your friends and family as Surfshark allows unlimited simultaneous connections on a single account.
Surfshark also offers dedicated apps for popular streaming devices like Windows, Android, iOS, Smart TV, PlayStation, Amazon Fire TV, and more.
There is also 24/7 live chat support if you want assistance with unblocking YouTube TV in Canada.
Recommended Servers: Atlanta, Miami, Latham, and Bend.
3. NordVPN – Largest Server Network to Watch YouTube TV in Canada
NordVPN has one of the largest server networks to unblock YouTube TV in Canada. It offers 1970+ servers in the United States to access YouTube TV and other streaming services in Canada.
Overall, NordVPN offers 5200+ servers across 60 countries. So, you can unblock other popular geo-restricted streaming services such as US Netflix, Peacock TV, Vudu, BBC iPlayer, HBO, and Crackle in Canada. With NordVPN, you can even watch Sling TV in Canada.
Thanks to its large server network in the US, NordVPN delivers good speed for streaming YouTube Live TV in Canada without buffering or delays.
NordVPN supports up to 6 device connections simultaneously so you can stream YouTube TV on multiple devices. There are dedicated apps for various streaming platforms such as Windows, iOS, macOS, Android, Amazon Fire TV, and more.
NordVPN is available for $3.30/ mo (CAD 4.16/mo) with a 30-day money-back guarantee as well. There is 24/7 customer support as well in case you need technical assistance.
Recommended Servers: Chicago, New York, and Atlanta.
How We Chose the Best VPN for YouTube TV in Canada
As mentioned above, not all VPNs work with YouTube TV, because of its advanced firewall, and VPN blocking technology. Therefore, when you are choosing a VPN for unblocking YouTube TV in Canada, make sure to follow the checklist below:
- Offers multiple servers in the United States.
- Consistently unblocks YouTube TV and other popular. streaming services in Canada such as US Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and more.
- Unlimited bandwidth for streaming in Ultra HD.
- Strong security with a kill switch, 256-bit encryption, and no-log policy.
- Allows at least 5 simultaneous device connections.
- Dedicated apps for iOS, Android, Mac, Windows, and other streaming devices.
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
- 24/7 live chat support for assistance.
How to Sign Up for YouTube TV in Canada with PayPal
You cannot sign up for YouTube TV with your Canadian PayPal account or a local credit card. To sign up for YouTube TV in Canada, first, you need to create a US PayPal account. You can also ask a friend of a family member in the US to share their PayPal account details if you have contacts in America.
If you don’t have anyone in America, follow the steps below to sign up for YouTube TV in Canada with US PayPal:
- Connect to ExpressVPN’s US server (Chicago, New Jersey – 3 recommended).
- Visit the PayPal website.
- Sign up for a new PayPal account with a US region.
- Enter all the details.
- You will be asked to enter a US Zip Code. You can use any US zip code from Google according to your server location. For example, if you have connected to a Chicago server, you will need to add a Chicago zip code (60602, 60176).
- Now create a new Gmail account with the US as a region.
- Visit YouTube TV’s website and sign up with your new US Gmail account.
- Select PayPal as a payment option and that’s it. Once your payment is approved, you can enjoy streaming YouTube TV in Canada.
List of Compatible Devices with YouTube TV Canada
You can watch YouTube TV in Canada on the following devices:
- Android (phones, tablets, Smart TV)
- iOS (iPhone and iPad)
- PC (Windows, Mac, Linux)
- Amazon FireStick
- PS4/ PS5
- Samsung Smart TV
- Xbox One
- LG Smart TV
Get YouTube TV on Android devices
Follow the steps below to get access to YouTube TV on your Android devices in Canada:
- Subscribe to ExpressVPN and download its app on your device.
- Login and connect to a US server.
- Head over to Google Play Store > Click Account > Add Another Account
- Enter your new Gmail ID with the US as the country/region
- Head back to Google Play Store and download the YouTube TV app
- Select ‘Try it Free’ and sign up.
- Verify your location to get TV Networks and stream your favorite shows and live TV in Canada.
Get YouTube TV on iOS devices
- Subscribe to ExpressVPN and download its app on your iPhone.
- Login and connect to a US server.
- Head over to Settings > Apple and iTunes > Tap on Apple ID.
- Head over to Media and Purchases > Select View Account.
- Sign in and scroll down to Country/ Region.
- Change Region to the US.
- Head over to the App Store and download the YouTube TV app.
- Open the YouTube TV app and sign in to your account to enjoy its content in Canada.
Get YouTube TV on Apple TV
Follow the steps below to watch YouTube TV on Apple TV:
- Visit ExpressVPN Set Up Page and save the MediaStreamer DNS IP address as you will be needing those in the steps below.
- Open your Apple TV and go to Settings.
- Go to Network > Wi-Fi > connected Wi-Fi settings.
- Choose Configure DNS option > select Manual > enter the MediaStreamer DNS IP addresses from Step 1.
- Click Save and restart your Apple TV.
- Launch the App Store.
- Install the YouTube TV app and log in to the stream.
Get YouTube TV on Amazon Fire TV
- First, choose a VPN and subscribe (I recommend ExpressVPN).
- Download the VPN app on your Firestick TV and log in.
- Connect to a US server from the list
- Go to Account Settings on your Amazon Fire TV Account and change the region from Canada to the US.
- Log out from your Amazon account and log in again
- Launch the YouTube TV app > Sign in to your account and enjoy your favorite content from Canada.
What channels are on YouTube TV Canada [2021 Updated List]
YouTube TV offers over 90+ channels, along with a variety of add-on channels as well. If you are into live news, you get local news channels such as ABC, FOX, CBS, and NBC. Some international news channels include BBC America, CNBC, FOX News, MSNBC, and CNN.
YouTube TV is a great platform for sports fans, offering access to different sports channels like:
- CBS Sports
- ESPN and ESPN 2
- NBC Sports
- NBA TV
- NFL Network
- MLB Network
YouTube TV’s recent deal with ViacomCBS brought 14 entertainment channels to the live TV streaming platform, such as:
- Paramount Network
- Comedy Central
- Nickelodeon, Nick Jr., TeenNick, and NickToons
- TV Land
- BET Her
- MTV, MTV Classic, MTV2
Along with local TV channels, with YouTube TV you can also get add-on channels and services with plenty of on-demand TV shows, movies, and much more. Some of YouTube TV add-on services include HBO Max, Showtime, Starz, EPIX, and more.
How much does YouTube TV cost in Canada?
Youtube TVs’ basic subscription costs around USD 64.99/ month (CAD 81.58/ month). You get access to 90+ American channels and there’s a 14-day free trial as well.
YouTube TV also offers a variety of add-ons like:
- HBO Max at $15/ month
- Showtime at $11/ month
- AMC Premier at $5/ month
- Starz at $9/ month
- Acorn TV at $6/ month
You can also get a Sports Plus package for an additional $10/ month.
What are the Top-Rated Shows and Movies on YouTube TV Right Now?
Best TV Shows on YouTube TV
Here’s a list of the best TV shows you can watch on YouTube TV Canada:
- Breaking Bad
- Game of Thrones
- The Sopranos
- Killing Eve
- The Walking Dead
- Peaky Blinders
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine
- Avatar: The Last Airbender
- Mr. Robot
- What We Do In The Shadows
- The Handmaid’s Tale
Best Movies on YouTube TV
Here’s a list of the best movies you can watch on YouTube TV Canada:
- The Greatest Showman
- Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
- Gone Girl
- 22 Jump Street
- After Earth
- All the Money in the World
- American Sniper
- Bad Moms
- Begin Again
- Fifty Shades of Grey
- Fantastic Four
- Independence Day
- Murder on the Orient Express
- Red Sparrow
- Spider-Man: Homecoming
YouTube TV Originals
Here are some of the best YouTube TV Original series to watch in Canada:
- Step Up: High Water
- Cobra Kai
- Ryan Hansen Solves Crimes On Television
- Rhett and Link’s Buddy System
- BTS: Burn the Stage
- Best Shot
How to solve the “YouTube TV VPN Proxy server detected” error?
If you are using a VPN to access YouTube TV and it shows the message: “YouTube TV VPN Proxy detected” error it means that YouTube has detected and blocked your access. I have tested the above three VPNs and they never gave me the proxy error, but if you are getting the error, there are ways to fix it.
- Make sure to clear browser cookies and cache.
- Disconnect from your VPN and reconnect to a different server in the US and try again.
- Restart your device.
- Check for possible IP leaks. When you have connected to a VPN server, perform DNS leak test and IP leak test.
FAQS – YouTube TV Canada
Is YouTube TV available in Canada?
No, YouTube TV is not available in Canada and is geo-restricted to the US only. Due to content licensing rights, YouTube TV is currently available in the US only. So, viewers in Canada can access YouTube TV in Canada with the help of a VPN.
Do I Need to Pay Extra for YouTube TV Add-Ons?
Yes, YouTube TV’s basic plan costs 81.58 CAD, but for add-ons like HBO Max, Showtime, and other channels, you need to pay extra. For example, the HBO Max add-on is available for an additional $15/ month.
Is YouTube TV coming to Canada?
As of today, YouTube TV is not planning to launch in Canada, or anywhere outside the United States. However, you can access YouTube TV in Canada with the help of a VPN service like ExpressVPN as it has plenty of servers in the US for unblocking YouTube TV.
Can I watch YouTube TV with Chromecast in Canada?
Yes, you can watch YouTube TV with Chromecast in Canada. To Chromecast YouTube TV, simply connect your TV with the Chromecast device and screencast YouTube TV through your PC, laptop, or smartphone.
Is YouTube TV free with Amazon Prime in Canada?
No, YouTube TV is not free with Amazon Prime Video in Canada because both are separate streaming platforms. You can access some YouTube TV content on Amazon Prime Video in Canada.
Can I watch YouTube TV in Canada with a free VPN?
You can watch YouTube TV in Canada with a free VPN, but I tried alot of free VPNs and none gave me access to YouTube TV. YouTube TV uses VPN blocking technology to block access. Free VPNs only offer a few servers that are used by thousands of users. So, a lot of traffic is coming from the same server, making it easier for YouTube TV to identify such servers and deny access.
Free VPNs also offer extremely poor speed so you will experience bad video resolution and a lot of buffering and lag. These VPNs are also ad-supported so you will be getting a lot of annoying ads while streaming.
Performance is not the only issue with free VPNs as they also come with a lot of security and privacy issues. A premium VPN is the best way to stream YouTube TV in Canada. I recommend using ExpressVPN as it has always worked for me and there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee too so you can try it risk-free for 30 days.
Is YouTube TV worth it in 2021?
YouTube TV is an alternative for cable TV in Canada. It’s hard to find a streaming service like YouTube that offers such a comprehensive channel list and content. You get access to everything from sports, lifestyle programming, entertainment, to movies, TV shows, news, and more.
YouTube TV also offers cloud DVR storage for viewers to download their favorite shows and movies to watch offline. So, for Canadian viewers who want to access local American streaming services and channels, YouTube TV is worth it in 2021.
YouTube TV is a substitute for cable TV offering so many channels under a single platform. Viewers in Canada can access YouTube TV in Canada with a VPN. My top recommendation for streaming is ExpressVPN, as it is capable of unblocking YouTube TV and offers reliable streaming speeds. However, if you face any issues or problems, don’t hesitate to leave a comment below. Happy Streaming.